Paris is Dead: A Play In Three Acts

Paris is Dead is my first full length play.

It is based on a one-act play I wrote in '93 or '94. At the time, I knew it was unfinished. In 2006, I finally realized how to finish it. I rewrote the one-act as Act One, and wrote Act Two and Three on Waiheke Island in New Zealand. In 2010, while rereading it, I discovered one more element that finally put it to rest.

It is one of my better plays, and some consider it my best.

I produced and directed the one-act version for the Wilfrid Laurier Theatre Collective in '95 (I think).

The full version has not been produced. Interested? Email me at sterling.lynch@gmail.com. If you can do it right, you can have it for free.

---

Synopsis:
The play is divided into three single-scene acts.

In the first act, via three interwoven monologues, ANDREW, THOMAS, and PATRICK (played by women) independently offer accounts of an event that took place in a Paris hostel that deeply affected all of them.

The second act presents a drunken debate between CALEB, ANDREW, and PATRICK that occurs on the night of the event discussed in the first act. In the third act, three siren-like women discuss and clarify the events recounted in the first act and they articulate the perspective of a woman who, until this point, has only been described by others.

The play concludes with a piece of movement between MALE and FEMALE which expresses a solution to the problem with which the play wrestles. The play is a challenging and original examination of personal identity, power-relations between the genders, and love.